Thursday, April 9, 2020

Filming my CCR (in quarantine)

Filming my CCR (in quarantine)

So originally, me and my group members planned on filming our CCR's together on the same day. We wanted to be able to sit together and bounce ideas off of each other to make it more interesting, plus it would just be easier since we can only check out one camera. But obviously... that isn't what happened. I've been in 'quarantine' for about 3 weeks, almost a month really soon, which means I haven't gone to school in person in almost a month. This obviously means I haven't seen my group members since our last day. Meeting up is always really difficult for us since we live really far apart and only two of us can drive, so normally we have to play meet-ups for filming and all that about a week prior. But with COVID-19 going around we can't even really leave our houses much to begin with. With the exception of leaving to buy groceries and basic necessities, obviously, we're ordered to stay at home, just like basically the whole world. To put it simply: this means that we didn't get to do what we first wanted. Instead of meeting up, we've had to film our CCR videos on our own. We've been keeping in touch through our group chat just to make sure we still have our final project and our blogs all together, but that's all we can do. Being in quarantine doesn't exactly make finishing our CCR's in possible, it's definitely doable and i'm already actually finished with mine. The problem is that we don't have any of the equipment that we used for our video projects, since all of that was borrowed from our school's inventory. We're just lucky we live in an age where technology can do basically everything. I filmed the entirety of my CCR on my phone, sitting outside on the stairs to my apartment complex so I could get some nice lighting, and I edited it all on my PC. I was lucky enough to actually have a tripod, because I borrowed one that my sister has, so at least my phone was balanced and the camera didn't move much besides when strong wings blew past. Editing... was not as smooth. If anything, it was the most difficult part of the entire CCR ordeal. Obviously at school on the laptops we had a decent editing program that we could use to put together our films, but being stuck at home, we don't have that anymore. Finding a good editing software that you can use without having to pay for it is actually so, so frustrating. Most free software that you can find are free trials of existing software, normally they last for around 30 days and then your time is up. Which is fine, if only they didn't have a huge watermark or multiple tiny watermarks all over the screen. I managed to find one that doesn't have a watermark and I can use it as long as I want, but it isn't really that good? Minitool Movie Maker gets the job done, but there isn't a lot I can really do with it. If I want to show pictures or insert videos I can't do it normally and just put it on the take i'm editing next to my face, I have to insert it by itself. It's just not the best, especially since i'm used to what I was using to edit in the past. But after about 7 hours of editing my CCR, which I know might be a ridiculous amount of time for just a 10-15 minute video, I did manage to finish it. It's not everything I wanted it to be by any means, but it's the best I could really do with the current circumstances. My CCR is ready for the deadline, which i've been informed has been extended from today, the 9th, to the 17th. 
Coronavirus is dominating the media, and apparently my entire life.

A kind of awkward screencap of me from my CCR.

No comments:

Post a Comment