Thursday, November 14, 2019

Actually Editing the Commercial

Actually Editing the Commercial

This time, we actually got to edit everything. The footage was put together well, but it isn't everything that I really wanted it to be. There were a million tiny problems that I had with it. For one thing, we decided to split our editing workload, but I ended up being home and sleeping in bed because I got really sick and needed to be out of school just for the day. Emily was gone too due to the passing of one of her relatives. Jaheim and Andrea ended up having to work together to put the commercial together the best they could. It probably was pretty tedious, I feel kind of bad for not being able to be there to help work like I said I would. But I guess you can't exactly postpone a sickness, and I didn't want to spread it to anyone else. Jaheim later told me over text in the group chat that him and Andrea were able to filter through all of our takes and pick the best ones. We had about thirty of them, but they chose seven good ones. The takes themselves, i'm sure, weren't exactly very good. We messed up a lot on the filming day and forgot a lot of bits. Plus we ended up taking forever and we almost ran out of time while filming since we have really bad time management. The seven we ended up using were just better than the other more weak links. 
Another problem we ended up struggling with in the end was the amount of technical difficulties we faced. There was a problem with our file type so there was trouble when actually trying to import the files into the editing software. To our dismay, nobody really knew how to fix it so we just had to use a different program besides Pinnacle Studios. We tried to just keep going with Pinnacle while also using the other software, but our ordered footage made Pinnacle crash. I'm not sure how, perhaps Pinnacle's auto save feature kicked in at the perfect moment, but our files started actually working again until just when we were going to finalize it and save it. We tried to put the video onto one of our Google Drive accounts, this time it was Jaheim's, but there was an issue. It was saved as a .axp file which basically can't be opened unless you're specifically opening it with Pinnacle. Second of all, it somehow became an audio file rather than a video file. So we have no option but to leave it on the computer and save it and just hope for the best. 
On the bright side, for the second day of editing I was able to actually be there in class to pull some of my weight. The big problem me and Jaheim found was that the transitions between the shots we had were really awkward. We had too many different angles and the timing was just off in general so it was hard to get it to be  smooth without it looking super weird. We had to put together shots from before that we initially didn't want to use just so that we could get it to work. The film itself also is a bit weird. It feels short even though it's in the time frame we were told to do, but I think it's because of our story. Maybe we didn't have enough to it, or it was just literally rushed from us panicking when we looked at the clock. But I guess we all are trying our best, and none of us including myself have ever made videos before. I've only ever made casual edits for things on social media and all that. This is okay for a first try.

No comments:

Post a Comment