Friday, October 25, 2019

Filming Day

Filming

October 24th, 2019, me and my group filmed our first ever project together. We went out to our school's track alongside a few other groups of kids and got set up quickly. Unfortunately, we did end up getting stuck from a few things for a moment, like costume difficulties and our missing piece to attack the camera to the tripod. Honestly, by the time we started, we only had about 20-30 minutes to film before we had to get back to the classroom. Of course, I didn't tell my group that.. I was afraid they would start panicking. Let's just say this: I know these people very well, and they're horrible workers under pressure. It was much better for me to keep my mouth closed and to just let the alarm go off for when we had to leave. Our class periods may be an hour and a half long, but we only got to spend a third of that time on the actual task since we were so busy waiting to get everything set up. Not only that, it gets worse, it took us so many tries to get our scenes right without laughing. I think I finally understand the life of an actor-- at least somewhat. Maybe an actor without the fame, or the money.
In all honesty, the majority of our footage is probably taken up by really awful bloopers. But still, it was really fun to do since we were able to let loose and look a little stupid, especially since we knew we were just going to edit it out later. We spent such a long time trying to figure out simple scenes, mostly because of the fact that we kept arguing over what camera angles we were going to use (even though we wrote right on the storyboard what angles we were using). It got a bit overwhelming, but at least our camera guy was the only person with any brain cells at all, so he did most of the talking. I think he got sick of our messing around, so he eventually started doing takes when we didn't even know. Perhaps that would be interesting for raw footage at least. Or just scenes of us looking really stupid. Either way.. I think it'll be a treat to see when we start editing. It's surprising we even managed to finish filming in time. 
After we finished figuring everything out (that took way too long), we got everything done. We did mess up a bit by forgetting a certain part of our video, but i'm confident enough in what we have that we'll be able to make something good regardless. I'm not sure if it'll be a masterpiece, if anything I doubt it. After all, none of us had ever filmed a video before, and none of us have edited video clips together before. But that seems to be the purpose of this course, doing new things and expressing yourself. I just hope that this comes out well so that our first try at a video project is satisfying. I'm a very nit-picky person, so i'm really critical of myself when it comes to doing things more on the creative side. If this doesn't come out right, i'm sure i'll beat myself up over it for a good month or two. I would be lying if I said i'm fully confident, but I guess it's now or never since we only have a single class period to edit our commercials. Honestly though, it could've gone much worse for us; it could've rained and we would've been stuck with plan B, we could've forgotten the donuts entirely, and so on. At least we filmed something interesting, and I got to eat a really good double chocolate donut when all was said and done.

No comments:

Post a Comment